A brief history
Gwynedd Meeting was founded in 1699 by Friends who came from Wales the previous year.
Meetings for Worship were held in settlers’ homes until a log meetinghouse was built in 1700.
A second and more permanent building of stone was completed in 1712. The present meetinghouse was
built in 1823. A community room and facilities for First Day (Sunday) School and kitchen were built in 1902
and expanded in 1948. In the late 1990s a large renovation and expansion project provided our community—
which includes our active preschool—with ample room for work and play. The existing schoolhouse
across the parking lot was built in 1857 and presently houses our kindergarten.
In 1967 the continuing care community of Foulkeways at Gwynedd was built on property left to Gwynedd Meeting in an earlier bequest. Many residents of Foulkeways have since become valued participants in the Meeting community.
Clicking on the link above will take you to the comprehensive history site including:
Chronological Sketch, Gwynedd Meeting
Meeting History and Geneology
Census Data and Tax Lists
Geneology Links (all free)